curtain mould with Green Goddess Oxy Bleach and a lemon

How To Remove Curtain Mould

It’s always best to try to prevent mould from appearing using our amazing Mould Magic and constantly circulating the house with fresh air. Opening windows regularly and ensuring nothing is pushing your curtains against the windows and condensation are good habits to have however, sometimes even with the best preventative measures those little black marks start to appear.

Ideally you want to catch it early on but sometimes life gets in the way and we are just not that organised. So now what?

Try using Oxy-Bleach, (sodium percarbonate). It’s a highly effective bleaching and disinfecting base for detergents and is a greener alternative to chlorine bleach because it breaks down to oxygen and water in the environment. Oxy-Bleach provides powerful cleaning, bleaching, stain removal and deodorising actions.

To remove mould from your cotton or linen curtains, or your plastic shower curtain try making this solution:

Using a ratio of 2 tablespoons of oxygen bleach to 2 drops of ammonia per 1 litre of hot water. Do not breathe this in. Make up as much solution as you need to soak your curtain. Remember to do a small test on the inside of one corner, to ensure the fabric is colourfast.

After taking down the curtain to be cleaned, brush over the mouldy area with a stiff brush to remove any loose mould then carefully soak in the solution, leaving overnight. The next day, rub the affected areas gently. Remove and rinse well. If you are happy with the result, air dry the curtain in the in the sun and rehang.

If you feel it needs a bit more work for some stubborn mould that just won’t shift try making a paste of equal parts lemon juice and salt – again, do a test spot to make sure your fabric is going to be ok. Put the paste onto the mould stain and leave it to set for about half an hour. Once set, scrape the paste away and again brush the area with a stiff brush. Then rinse and hang in the sun to dry.

Please remember to use Oxy-bleach safely. It is not to be ingested. Keep out of reach from children. It is an irritant to eyes and skin and do NOT inhale.