Want to splurge on chocolate this Valentines Day but don’t want all the added sugar and dairy? Try making this absolutely delicious raw vegan pie that our favourite holistic nutritionalist Natalie Brady shared with us.
“There is nothing not to love about this raw chocolate vegan pie, it’s absolutely heavenly and is of course super healthy too! The best part is, is that it can be whipped up in under 10 minutes, as long as you have a food processor you are good to go. And no surprise it contains one of my favourite ingredients, raw cacao! As I am a chocolate lover I love to indulge every so often and this pie seriously hits the spot every time.
Chocolate is such a decadent snack and feels luxurious to your soul. Chocolate affects our mood-hormones (serotonin, endorphins and phenylethylamine), which is why so many people turn to chocolate for emotional comfort. Raw cacao is a superfood and is high in antioxidants, minerals and some vitamins making it a healthier choice when you feel like you want to treat yourself. This recipe is a feel good recipe, as you know with every spoonful you are putting real wholesome and nourishing food into your body.”
• 1 large ripe avocado
• 6 tablespoons raw organic cacao powder
• 1/3 cup maple/rice malt syrup
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1/2 cup filtered water, possibly more
• 2 cups sunflower seeds
• 1 cup dates (soaked and softened in boiling water for at least 10 minutes)
• 2-3 tbsp filtered water
1. Blend pie crust ingredients together in food processor with 2-3 tablespoons of water. Flatten mixture into a cake or pie tin making sure to come up the sides of the tin.
2. Combined all mousse ingredients together into a food processor and whiz up until smooth. (For a thicker mousse add less water OR for thinner mixture add more water)
3. Pour mousse mixture into the pie crust and refrigerate for 2-3 hours to set.